5 Signs That Your Loved One Needs In-Home Senior Care
According to the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), nearly 90 percent of seniors want to stay in their own homes as they age. But the real question is, are they able to be alone or do they need help?
ElderCaring Palm Springs wants to help families recognize when their loved ones are in need of in-home care. Just because a senior is showing signs of having problems at home, doesn't mean they need to move out to an assisted living facility. It does, however, indicate they need more help in the home. There are quite a few signs that you should recognize as to when you want to call to have a caregiver in the home.
- Messy home: This could be because the senior is not only physically tired, but also depressed.
- Neglected personal hygiene: Body odor, wearing the same clothing for a number of days, disheveled hair, bad breath– all of these are obvious signs that a senior needs assistance.
- Scorched pots and pans: Pay attention to this, because this could mean cook wear was forgotten on a flame. This is a sign of short-term memory loss or even Alzheimer’s disease.
- Not interested in eating: Seniors who live alone can feel overwhelmed at the thought of cooking a meal for themselves and tend not to eat properly if not at all. Ask what they had for their last meal to make sure they are in fact eating.
- General forgetfulness: Forgetting to take prescriptions, unopened mail, not paying bills, missing appointments.
An ElderCaring caregiver can provide a number of non-medical services to assist your loved one including social support, bathing, dressing and personal hygiene, cleaning laundry and bed linens, dietary needs, medication reminders, or just a break for the family or primary caregiver. Non-medical care is ideal for seniors that not only need the mental support but emotional and physical aid as well. ElderCaring also offers recovery care, wound care, Parkinson’s care, stroke recovery care, diabetes care and more.
Finding the best caregiver is important. At Eldercaring we provide seniors quality home care services at an affordable all-inclusive rate. The hours and services are flexible and catered to your specific needs to ensure that the senior can continue to live comfortably and independently for as long as possible.
ElderCaring is a family owned business operating since 2001 with locations in Washington D.C., Virginia and Southern California. Our company and the caregivers are setting a new standard of care in the Coachella Valley. Together we have raised the bar for “In-Home Care Services” and believe that the “ElderCaring Way” of doing business exceeds those of any other in-home care provider available.
So families, be aware of these indicators and be prepared to have a talk with your loved one. If they want to stay living independently in their own home as they age, it’s very important to have an in-home caregiver.